In order to keep your smile as healthy as possible, be wary this Halloween of dental abrasion. Abrasion refers to the process when your teeth slowly wear down due to processes on a microscopic level, including from cleaning products you may be using. Here are some helpful tips to remember:
– Avoid brushing your teeth immediately after meals. At this time, your teeth are extra sensitive and this action could lead to further abrasion.
– Never eat acidic foods as snacks, but rather as part of larger meals to help neutralize the acids they contain.
– Use toothpaste that has low abrasive fluoride and bicarbonate so that it does not wear down your enamel.
– Implement cleaning tools such as toothbrushes with soft bristles and comfortable brush heads to alleviate the risk of abrasion.
– Avoid substances that have a low pH and high acidic content.
– If you cannot avoid acidic sweets, always be sure to rinse your mouth out with water or try chewing sugarless gum to help stimulate saliva flow.
For more tips on treats, please visit Dr. John Poulos and our wonderful dental practitioners at Northport Prosthodontics. If you would like to make an appointment, please call us at 631-262-0644, or stop by our office in Northport, New York. Have a safe and happy Halloween!